Frequently Asked Questions
Who is Paul John?
Click here to read more about the life and history of Dr. Paul John.
What does Calricaraq mean?
Visit this page to learn all about the ideas behind Calricaraq.
How do I get involved?
Introducing The Talking and Listening Wall
We want this new facility to be a place where all of our people can feel at home—comfortable, welcoming and familiar.
To do this, we need local input from the communities. We have sent each village clinic a “Talking and Listening” message board. This allows YKHC to “Talk” and share information with the communities as well as “Listen” to input from the people YKHC serves. The wallboards are also posted in several places around the hospital and YKHC campus in Bethel.
Clinics also have comment forms that can be either handed to staff or taped to the board.
Other Ways to Participate
There is an email address: firstname.lastname@example.org to send comments and pictures, and, for those who feel more comfortable speaking their own language, a voice mailbox at 907-543-6600.
Here are some questions and topics to get the conversation started:
What is important to you?
- If there were 1 or 2 YK cultural things you could wish for in this new facility, what would they be?
- What is culturally unique to your YK area/region that you would like to see as part of this project?
- What in your YK culture could we use to help make you feel more “Welcome”?
- What cultural items could we include in the new buildings to represent all YK villages?
Cultural Element Opportunities
- Play areas for children
- Traditional medicine plants area
- YK Native landscape
- Sacred / meditation / chapel space
- Viewing / preparation room
- Food / coffee service
- Cultural greeter at main entry
- Crafts / gift shop